From: Paolo Roncone <paoloc...@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 11:17 AM
To: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
Cc: <EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [PSES] 6dB pad

Hi Ken and Tom

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, the 6 dB pad is at the receiver input, in addition
or not (depending on the signal level) to the built-in attenuator of the
receiver.

If the same 6dB pad is put at the antenna output instead of receiver input,
it's at the other end of the cable connecting antenna with receiver.

Is it preferable, or recommended, or right to consider the 6dB pad only at the
antenna output, rather than at the receiver input? If yes, why, considering
that the whole chain (antenna, cable, pad) is nominal 50 ohm?

Shouldn't the 6dB pad in any case improve the VSWR or return loss of the
antenna-cable-receiver chain? Maybe I'm oversimplifying the picture...

Anyway, assuming the antenna has a good (> 10dB) return loss or good (< 1.5)
VSWR, no need for any pad at all, or better (recommended) no pad at all?

Thanks

Paolo