Hi Ryan,

Clarification at the end of 5.4.2.2 (before the tables) indicates that
which table you use is dependent on the frequency of the associated
circuit. The implication is that you could have some circuits use Table 10
and some circuits use Table 11. It seems appropriate to use Table 11 for
the power supply working voltage. The key question here is whether
temporary overvoltages associated with AC mains circuits have a frequency >
30 kHz or not and so also should use Table 11, or if Table 10 should be
used.

FWIW, here
<https://code-authorities.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2015/02/UL_WP_Final_Effects-of-High-Frequency-Voltage-Stress-on-Air-Insulation-and-Solid-Insulation_v4_HR.pdf>
is a paper from UL from 2010 (so before IEC 62368-1 3rd Edition was
published) that has an example based on the IEC 60664 series standards. You
will notice that the example calculates clearances to withstand transient
overvoltages separately from the clearances to withstand periodic
voltages, taking the highest of the two as the final requirement. Though it
doesn't address temporary overvoltages specifically, the example is
interesting.

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 3:39 PM Ryan Jazz <rjayasin...@yamahaguitargroup.com>
wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> Hope you can help me understand the requirement for the clearance needed
> between the bottom PCB of power supply to metal chassis.
>
> Looking up UL 62368-1 Third Edition, and using the ‘Voltage up to an
> including peak’ of *2000 V* for overvoltage category II Table 10 for *<30
> kHz*.
>
> I see the clearance is 1,27 mm.
>
> Going over to Table 11 *>30* kHz this clearance value jumps to 13,2 mm.
>
> Am I doing this correctly? Or should I be using the ‘working voltage’ of
> the power supply, Primary to Earthed Dead Metal 392 Vpk, Primary to
> Secondary 520 Vpk.
>
> 100-240 Vac, 100 W, *90 kHz* switching frequency, AC power supply with a
> 2x3 inch footprint.
>
> End product is, overvoltage category II, pollution degree 2, material
> group III.
>
> Indoor audio music processor, Class 1.
>
> All guidance would be appreciated.
>
> If this 13,2 mm value is indeed correct, I may need to use an insulator
> under the power supply.
>
> Any recommendations for a UL rated insulator type?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ryan Jazz
>
> Ryan Jayasinghe
>
> Regulatory Compliance Engineer
>
> rjayasin...@line6.com
>

> "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" -
> Aldous Huxley
>

> LINE6
>
> 26580 Agoura Road
>
> Calabasas CA 91302
>
> 818.575.3711 <(818)%20575-3711>
>
> line6.com
>
> ampeg.com
>

> ------------------------------

> discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to All
> emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/
>
> Website: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
> Instructions: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html (including how to
> List rules: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/listrules.html