I would argue that if you impose any requirements (such as AWG size or
design of terminal block) then yes absolutely you need to have those
components in the test environment.It is my impression that if your system
fails for any reason that could be attributed  to poor installation, then
the foreseeable misuse clause could be invoked. Of course, even if you do
not  impose any requirements on the installation and an incident occurs,
then the foreseeable misuse clause could also be invoked for
that possibility.

Better safe than sorry.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 1:30 PM Ronan Shanley <
0000205e1cfd8f16-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ieee.org> wrote:

> * This message originated outside of DISH and was sent by:
> 0000205e1cfd8f16-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ieee.org
> <0000205e1cfd8f16-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ieee.org> *
> ------------------------------
>
> Hi All,
>

> We are going through a DFMEA process for an enclosure we have designed but
> are having trouble determining which components to analyze. We know we want
> all the safety rated components and likely the upstream components of those
> as well. We’re unsure if we should include components related only to
> functionality or how granular we should get with the components upstream of
> the safety components. For example do we include the wire feeding the
> safety controller or what about the terminal blocks? Is anyone familiar
> with where the limit for component criticality usual falls for DFMEAs?
>

> Best,
>

> *RONAN SHANLEY*
>
> *EE*
>

> *ALERT INNOVATION*
>

> *http://www.alertinnovation.com
> <http://www.alertinnovation.com/>
>

> This message (including any attachments) may be confidential and
> privileged communication to the intended addressee. If you are not the
> intended addressee, you have received this message in error. In that case,
> please permanently delete this message and notify us at
> wrong-recipi...@alertinnovation.com so that we can avoid this
> inconvenience in the future. Thank you.
> ------------------------------

> discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to All
> emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/
>
> Website: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
>
> Instructions: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html
> (including how to unsubscribe)