The phrase, “as to ensure that”, implies some testing would be needed for both
emissions and immunity.  The directive doesn’t insist on testing, but in order
to meet the “essential requirements” testing would seem the only way to
reinforce a claim of compliance.

From: bart.de.gee...@telenet.be <bart.de.gee...@telenet.be>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2023 7:00 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] 50Hz Product and the EMC Directive

Hi Scott,

The directive also states:

ANNEX I

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS

1.   General requirements

Equipment shall be so designed and manufactured, having regard to the state of
the art, as to ensure that:

(a)

the electromagnetic disturbance generated does not exceed the level above which
radio and telecommunications equipment or other equipment cannot operate as
intended;

(b)

it has a level of immunity to the electromagnetic disturbance to be expected in
its intended use which allows it to operate without unacceptable degradation of
its intended use.

*       Besides the ‘emission’ part of the test there is also the ‘immunity’
related aspect of it.  (You can do electrostatic discharge, EFT, surge and
other tests).   (and I do not see a reason why products not containing active
oscillators would be excluded from immunity testing).
*       Although your product might not contain an active oscillator, I have
seen products that only contained a few passive components, but where the
manufacturer still succeeded to make an active oscillator (unwantedly) that
exceeded the legal limits by more than 30 dB.

Greetings,

Bart