Sorry for the late reply, but I did feel the need to express strong disagreement with some statements here.

Lets take there first one: how will you know which is worst case if you don’t test. Seriously? I would answer this by saying that an EMC engineer with any proficiency can make an educated decision as to what would be the worst case, further, if one can’t do that you shouldn’t probably be in EMC Engineering. Is the old saying from school days “ You should have an idea of the answer before doing the problem “ no longer stressed in school!

The back reference to Boeing is utter BS, sorry Gert, but as someone who contracts for Boeing I take a very strong exception to that ridiculous statement. There is absolutely NO correlation between a poor quality subcontractor and the EMC performance of an EUT. It may be true for airbus, but leave my Boeing alone please.

Back to the problem at hand, and serious answers only please.

At what point(s) does one draw the line eliminating the need for testing similar designs.

Thanks in advance,

Derek Walton.