From: James Pawson (U3C) <ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2024 10:02 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] "Significant Thickness"

Hello again,

IEC 62368-1
6.4.8 Fire Enclosures
6.4.8.2.3 Compliance criteria
Compliance is checked by inspection of applicable data sheets or test.
The material flammability class is checked for the thinnest significant
thickness used.

There's not a definition of "significant thickness" in the standard. Given that
openings in a fire enclosure have controlled maximum dimensions I'm going to
read "significant thickness" as "thickness of an area of material that is
larger than the maximum permitted opening in that face of the fire enclosure"

Thoughts welcomed!

All the best
James

James Pawson
Managing Director & EMC Problem Solver

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd
EMC : Environmental & Vibration : Electrical Safety : CE & UKCA : Consultancy

www.unit3compliance.co.uk<http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/> |
ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk<mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk>
+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957
2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL
Registered in England and Wales # 10574298

Office hours:
Every morning my full attention is on consultancy, testing, and troubleshooting
activities for our customers' projects. I'm available/contactable between 1300h
to 1730h Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri.
For inquiries, bookings, and testing updates please send us an email on
he...@unit3compliance.co.uk<mailto:he...@unit3compliance.co.uk> or call 01274
911747. Our lead times for testing and consultancy are typically 4-5 weeks.

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG<mailto:EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/<https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/%20>

Website: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/
Instructions: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/list.html (including how to