On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Anders Wallin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:18:16 +0200
> From: Anders Wallin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Mesa m5i20 PWM frequency ?
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering using Jon Elson's PWM servo amplifiers with my Mesa
> M5i20 servo card.
>
> Jon tells me his amplifiers are optimized for 50 kHz PWM frequency. Does
> anyone know in what range the PWM frequency is adjustable on the Mesa
> M5i20 ?

Its limited to ~33 KHz at the moment (33.3 MHz PCI clock /1024)

It would be pretty easy to use the 50 MHz clock instead to the max would be
close to 50 KHz, or double that for 100 KHz or so maximum.

50 KHz is pretty high for PWM, as the switching losses in the HBridge go up,
and the dead time becomes more of the total cycle time. If the PWM is not used
directly to drive a HBridge, (just filtered to generate an analog current
threshold or something) then using the interleaved PWM option will result
lower ripple, so such a high PWM rate is not needed, but dont use the
interleaved option if the PWM drives an HBridge directly...

> The manual talks about 10-bit PWM with a 33MHz clock so 1024 ticks
> equals 31us or 32.2 kHz
> is it possible to use a higher PWM frequency than this ?
>
> AW

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)