Sears Roebuck & Company was a GREAT retailer at one time.  But since I
remember they have always been a little high priced.  When they were a real
catalog retailer you could purchase almost anything in life from them (in
the 1920's or so I think they sold house kits).  Still their small tool,
power tool, and specialty clothing (work clothes) catalogs are pretty
reasonable.  I don't think they even do a 'big' catalog anymore.

The internet has pretty much put mail order out of business and Sears didn't
adapt very well.  Their old major competition Montgomery Wards is now
defunct I think.

I took a tour of Chicago and went up the Chicago river.  It was interesting
to see the loading docks where Sears and Wards both took in lots of paper,
and sent out catalogs and goods on barges to the US Post Office (that also
had a water level dock built into their building).

Sears and Wards both really helped develop rural America in the 1st 2/3 of
the 20th century.  And neither ever MADE anything to speak of.  They were
just the power house retailers (think Wal-Mart) of the era.

Enough retail history (or pseudo history) ...