I tried this (pyvcp.hal & pyvcp.xml) , but it kept giving me the error "waiting for component 'pyvcp' to become ready. I don't believe it's in the .xml file because I substituted a very simple file and it still wouldn't get past the pyvcp command. It did, however generate the display.

From: Dave Engvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:21 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "James Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I try to be an open minded person. SInce I don't understand pyVCP
>> yet, and
>> I know a little about Qt3, I thought trying both would be a good
>> learning
>> experience. I haven't heard much about what the 2 minutes with
>> pyVCP would
>> entail, either. I think I have soemwhat of a grasp on HAL, but
>> that is
>> because of the good documentation EMC has provided.
>
> Both approaches have their own strong points.  As Jeff
> demonstrated, the
> Qt code can easily make a nice DRO style display when EMC is running.
> http://axis.unpy.net/01167918097
>
> But it does require EMC to be running - it uses NML to get its
> data, and
> the NML data comes from EMC.  That in turn means that a number of EMC
> specific requirements need to be met.  For example, if you are
> trying to
> make a DRO for a manual machine, EMC will trip on a following error as
> soon as you turn the crank.

Naw!! Lie to the machine ... set following errors very high. Not nice
but workable.

Software designed to be a DRO is lots cleaner. Too bad the Mauch/
Kaluga boards have disappeared.

Dave

Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series.  Who will win? http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001