Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>     I think this debate is very interesting, fun to read, and
> educational but I didn't ask the original question to see what
> everyone thought or to try to bring someone around to my way of
> thinking. I would just like to have this functionality on my machine.
> The machines I own and the machines I intend to put this control on
> will need this. The high speed machines may not need this but if they
> don't need it even if it is in the control the situation would never
> be reached. On one machine I have a handwheel without lines or
> detents. It holds position with a friction device.

>     Would someone write this and commit it?

Yes.  Probably tonight, but no guarantees.  (Unless you want to send
me some money ;-)

> If not would someone help
> me do it? If I would do it I would not want to commit it without a
> review of the code. I am not a programmer with the capability to do
> this properly. I know some programmers but they may not write code
> with the same look and feel as the current code. Also, if I would
> implement this it would probably be the distance rather than the time
> scenario.

I have a feeling that distance will not give you the results you want.
Please post specifics of your application, and let me do a little math.

Max velocity, max accel, jogwheel counts per rev....

>     It would be very interesting to have feedback to the pulse
> generator to give tactile response to the operator when machining with
> the pulse generator. The feel could be tailored to be very close to a
> Bridgeport handle. The machine would probably need one pulse generator
> per axis and when running CNC the dials could spin along with the axis
> motion.

That is a completely different subject - more motor control than
jogwheel.  It would be interesting to play with.  In any case, that is
something that can be done using HAL stuff, with no code changes needed
to the core of EMC.

>     Regardless of the eventual outcome this this thread my first
> priority is to get my machine running. This I will do with or without
> this function.

I thought your machine was already running, and your initial post
was because you were having problems with the behavior of the wheel?

Regards,

John Kasunich