Dear John and Chris:
Thanks for your expertise in solving the compiling problem.
John, you bet is 100% right.  I run
"sudo apt-get install  libgtk2.0-dev"
Everything is OK.

My suggestion is that to make installation of GTK 2.4.0 is an
essential part. Otherwise, these optional, but very useful components,
halmeter, halscope and classicladder, will not be successfully
compiled. When we type

"sudo apt-get build-dep emc2"

All necessary modules for EMC2 should be included.

Best regards
Xuecheng