I've been reading EMC2 documentation and trying to come up with a way to
make my spindle speeds perform like I want and this is what I've come up
with so far:

Use Limit2 to generate a trajectory, acelerate or decelerate at a rate
that my drive can keep up with without faulting.  I'm thinking of
aceleration of 500rpm/sec and deceleration of 300rpm/sec.

Use encoder position => ddt in and ddt out X 60 should be RPM.  This is
because I don't see an encoder velocity for M5i20 encoders.

Now use a PID loop with limit2 out as the setpoint and ddt out as the
feedback.

The PID loop would have to be tuned on the very mild side to work with
all my spindle gear ratios, but that should be OK since it would be
stable enough running open loop.

I thought this might be the "close to perfect" solution and it only
needs what is already there as far as hardware and software, just needs
some configuration.

Would this be simple or are there complications I'm overlooking?  I
won't get a chance to experiment around with this until next week,
anything to point me in the right direction would be appreciated since
this is my first attempt to actualy do something with hal.

Roger Neal