Sven Mueller wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I really don't know why this isn't working as it should, so I really
> need some help here. I have taken the default stepper.ini and pinout.hal
> files (both from the stepper directory) and adjusted them to my machine.
> The files contain "test" in them since I intentionally didn't configure
> homing on any axis. I first want to get the configuration to actually
> move anything at first.

snip

> Symptoms I see are basically that I can't get the steppers to turn using
> the following procedure:
> start tkemc
> disable estop
> power on machine
> use manual movement
>
> What I get if I keep my finger on the keys to move an axis, I get a
> joint following error after a few seconds.

Following error on a stepper machine means either the step generators
aren't properly connected to the rest of EMC, or they aren't getting
enabled, or their limits are set too low and they can't keep up with
the commands that EMC is sending.

> As I currently don't have the machine within reach, I'm not 100% sure
> wether the enabling of the controller works or wether that already
> causes the steppers not to move. But with an open loop system, I still
> wonder where the following error comes from.

Found the problem:

The following is in your "pinout" file:

 >net Xenable axis.0.amp-enable-out => or2.0.in0
 >net Yenable axis.1.amp-enable-out => or2.0.in1
 >net XYenable or2.0.out => or2.1.in0
 >net Zenable axis.2.amp-enable-out => or2.1.in1
 >net AMPenable or2.1.out => parport.0.pin-17-out

You are creating your own enable signals for each axis.  However, there
are already enable signals, created by the following in core_stepper.hal:

 ># connect enable signals for step generators
 >newsig Xen bit
 >linksp Xen <= axis.0.amp-enable-out
 >linksp Xen => stepgen.0.enable
 >newsig Yen bit
 >linksp Yen <= axis.1.amp-enable-out
 >linksp Yen => stepgen.1.enable
 >newsig Zen bit
 >linksp Zen <= axis.2.amp-enable-out
 >linksp Zen => stepgen.2.enable

When you connect the signal Xenable to axis.0.amp-enable-out, that
_disconnects_ the signal Xen from axis.0.amp-enable-out (you can only
have one signal connected to a pin, but you can have many pins connected
to a signal).  With Xen disconnected from axis.0.amp-enable-out, its
value is always zero (false), and therefore the pin stepgen.0.enable
never turns on.

You really don't even need the OR gates to make a master AMP enable,
since all three axis enables turn on and off at the same time.  You
can just use any one of them.  The sample pinout.hal file recommends
that:

 >###
 >### You might use something like this to enable chopper drives when
machine ON
 >### the Xen signal is defined in core_stepper.hal
 >###
 ># linksp Xen => parport.0.pin-01-out

Since your amp enable is on pin 17, you can just uncomment that line
and change the pin number:

linksp Xen => parport.0.pin-17-out

If for some reason you do want to keep using the OR gates, you should
use the existing Xen, Yen, and Zen signals instead of creating your own.
Just add the OR gate pins to those signals, as follows:

linksp Xen or2.0.in0
linksp Yen or2.0.in1
net XYenable or2.0.out => or2.1.in0
linksp Zen or2.1.in1
net AMPenable or2.1.out => parport.0.pin-17-out

Hope this helps, please let us know either way.

Regards,

John Kasunich