Quoting Kirk Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> For the first run of a part, I recall reducing the feed rate and then
> single stepping through the program. I think there was a single step
> button you could activate before you hit the cycle start, so that the
> program would single step right from the first line. Whereas it seems
> that EMC will only single step after you start the program and several
> lines may have been executed. Does anyone have a favorite method to
> validate programs for the first run?

It depends on the GUI you are using, but it's fairly similar.

In TkEMC there's a button called 'validate', which will run through
the program and check it against possible problems.
In AXIS the same thing happens automatically while loading, and
building the preview.

To step though a program, you simply hit the "Step" button (both in
TkEMC and in AXIS, might be different in Mini or Xemc, but I doubt
that).

btw, when I'm unsure of a program, I use touch-off in AXIS to set the
Z really high (to clear the workpiece), and let it air-cut and watch
the spindle and preview. (usually I also crank the feed override to
something like 2-300% while doing that, because I get easily bored if
it's running slow :).

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Alex