> > > I made a bellows out of manila to see if I could do it, and it turned
> > > out well. Can anyone suggest a material for the final version?
> > >
> > > Kirk Wallace
> >
> > I used thin polypropylene sheet, 0.39mm thick.  I got it from
> ... snip
>
> The milky white appearance of the polypropylene was a little strange to
> me at first, but now I, kind of like it. I think Apple would use it if
> they made CNC machines. You could put tri-color LED's behind the bellows
> for light shows. Or have a Simon app running in AXIS.
>
> Why the fancy fold -- space issues?

I use the Omron illuminated optical sensors for my home switches, and I have
LEDs on my limit switches so it is good to be able to see through the
bellows.
The translucent white works fine.  Being from an art supply store it was
also
available in lots of pretty colours, including boring black.

I wanted to fold my bellows around my rails to increase the protection.  The
bellows shown in the pictures covers an assembly with cross section 190mm x
85mm.
The fancy folding allows it to hold its shape when moving.  It will only do
this if
it is folded accurately.  My second attempt at this ballons out when it
tries
to compress.  The first two I scored and folded by hand.  Next attempts will
be
using the machine when I reassemble it (I'm gearing the axis down at the
moment).