Hi Peter.  Glad you're running EMC and want to experiment.

The first thing to do with that Ubuntu CD is pop it into the reader and
look to see what's on the disk.  If it's a single file xxx.iso then the
burn did not work right.  If you see a whole file system with quite a
few directories then you got a good one.

I've encounter a couple of machines that do not honor the order of boot
in the bios.  On these I've had to remove the HD from the boot sequence
entirely in order for them to see the CD as a bootable medium.

No the BDI, and for that matter a correctly running Ubuntu-emc will not
shut off the monitor.  There are several PC hardware type things like
shutoff, legacy USB, and such that on some devices interfere with the
proper operation of the real-time systems that are essential to EMC and
EMC2. We do what we can to keep these kinds of things out of the Linux
kernel we run but can't do all of it in our software.  Once you get a
running EMC2 you can tweak out stuff in the bios to improve performance.

Rayh

BTW -- I might be able to help a bit with the Sherline config if you
contact me off line when you get EMC2 running.