On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 15:11 -0600, Jeff Epler wrote:
> (there are, or at least
> were, similar board designs with RS232 or TTL serial instead of USB),
> you run into bandwidth limits -- you can't quite transmit 12 bytes every
> 1ms at 115200bps, and with the protocol I used, it takes 12 bytes to
> read or write all the pins.

I was looking at the Pixie and it's application to running Fanuc servo
drives and it looks like they use a mixed mode connection.  Seven wires
that are labeled like this.

To Pixie
  Step
  Direction
  Ground
  Serial tx (pin 3)

To PC
  Fault
  Serial rx (pin 2)

Both
  Serial ground (pin 5)

This would not get us around the PC's upper bound in PPS but it would
allow for feedback of position to the PC and perhaps velocity to the
servo drive.

I can just hear the screams of all my pure servo buddies.  There are
quite a few high end servo drives that permit step in.

Rayh