On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 21:51 +0000, Ian Wright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of servo motors out of an old Olivetti printer which I'd
> like to try to use, however, I can't find any information about the
> encoders fitted to them. The encoders are in flat brown plastic
> enclosures on the end of the motors and have 7 pin plugs with 6 wires
> connected (the motor power wires are separate). Looking inside there
> appears to probably be 3 photo sensing elements and a clear plastic
> encoder disk with, I think, 100 prismatic lumps on it and so I assume
> that the 6 wires must somehow represent a quadrature encoder with index
> mark???? - or maybe a quadrature encoder with two power connections - I
> don't know. Has anyone come across this type of motor and worked out the
> connections or is there some way I could work it out for myself?? thanks.

I've a simillar motor/encoder, though this motor is not in a printer.
So far what I've done is trace out the connection on the PCB that the
resolver is connected to, and found which wires were the power and
confirmed the voltage is 5v.  The next time I have access to the machine
I will power up the encoder, attach a 'scope to the other 6 wires,
rotate the motor and see if I can decipher the output.

I think this unit has differential outputs so a pair of wires for phase
A another for phase B and another for the index, for a total of 8 wires.
Your best bet is figuring out which wires are the power first, do you
still have the circuit the servo was connected to? If not try to get the
cover of the encoder and examin the circuit there.

If you can take some pictures post them.

__
Ormund