Jon Elson wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> i/ I guess this is going to come down to a philosophical choice, do you
>> pursue the DRO first, or the EMC + NC first? vi vs emacs anyone?
> If you are going to the trouble and expense of embarking on one
> of these paths, then the CNC path is the most reward for your
> efforts.

> The first
> time you design a part with free-flowing angles and arcs, and
> watch the machine cut it as easily as a straight line parallel
> to the ways, you will be kicking yourself and saying "I should
> have done this YEARS ago!"

I second that.  I've only had my machine working for a month, and I'm
already changing the way I look at machining.  For example, this part:

http://jmkasunich.com/cgi-bin/blosxom/shoptask/spindle-encoder-bracket-01-07-08.html

Because I was fitting an odd shaped part into a odd-shaped blank with
oddly located holes in it, there was no cut in the entire part that was
parallel to a machine axis.  The blank was mounted at an angle too...
The only things that were aligned to the machine are the two 3/8" holes
that I clamped it down with.

Regards,

John Kasunich