Chris Morley wrote:

>Kirk
>I thank you for the offer for the r485 converter. I think after reading some
>of the posts I would rather go with full duplex. Paying you for,  and
>shipping, it would have been a pain too I think, as I am in Canada.
>I came across a web site with a Modbus library that is GPL.
>http://copyleft.free.fr/wordpress/index.php/libmodbus/
>In his trunk version he is working on a slave protocol - if I could get this
>working I could set up two computers with rs 232 and test. prob test
>classicladder too.
>The big but is that I cannot figure out how to auto make the program . I
>downloaded automake and autoconfig but it doesn't work and I don't know how to
>trouble shoot  the process. Any help would be great from anyone.
>Just thought it might be interesting to peruse or even use for your work.
>Thanks again.

That's the library I used to make the HAL/Modbus component I needed.
I'll see if I can find out what I had to do to build it.  It works quite
well.

There is an annoying thing that library does - it prints error messages
without being asked.  If your slave device isn't attached, you'll get an
endless stream of "ERROR!  Communications timed out" messages on the
terminal.

Otherwise, it was pretty easy to get working.  I still haven't had a
chance to clean up my code for release, hopefully I'll get to that soon.

- Steve