[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors
>> The 180Ncm will be big enough, and at ?18.50 at the moment ...
>> The 3 Amp driver at ?28.95 each are a good option for driving them, so for
>> under ?150 you have all the grunt.
>> They will run direct off the parallel port, but a simple breakout board will
>> be useful, and all one is missing is some DC power. 35V at a few amps does
>> not
>> cost a lot.
>
> Thanks to both who suggested this.
>
> I'm looking at the 220 Nm ACL571157525M steppers and the SMD093064 controller
> x 3.
I would recommend the bigger driver with the 220Ncm motor - and a higher
supply voltage. You will get as much power out of the 180Ncm motor with the
smaller driver because it needs a lower voltage.

> The documentation doesn't show the method of connection to a PC.
>
> The sino glass scales terminate in one RS232 per each of the three axes.
*NO* the glass scale produces quadrature signals - it just uses a 9 way 'D'
connector.

> So, this "useful breakout board" which will accept 3 x whatever connectors
> the SMD
> controllers take plus the 3x RS232, presumably a PCI job?
I'm not sure how EMC expects to get the quadrature inputs, but at least it
would need a second parallel port, since most of the pins on the first
parallel port are needed for the motors and other controls such as spindle and
the like.

http://home.lsces.co.uk/ModelEngineersDigitalWorkshop/wiki/index.php?page=BreakoutBoard

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL