If you're going for the cheap, and dont need to really cut anything more
than wax or foam, i would think some of these motors could do nicely for
less than $10 each.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/400600/Stepper_Motors.html

I think we could provide some better direction if we know exactly what
you're going for.  you tryin to get your toes wet with cnc stuff, or are you
wanting to produce parts?  what tools / supplies / resources do you have
available?  if you happen to have access to say a school or employer's
machines, that could be very handy in building your machine.  im assuming
you have at least bsic electronics skills if you're wanting to build those
stepper drives.

I've seen that instructables, and thought about trying something like that
but decided I'd come up with my own design using mostly MDF.