There is atleast one person doing this..  Here is some light reading.
(jlmjvm on #emc)

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Steppers_With_Encoders

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43517&highlight=encoders

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37309

This gives good info on speed the printer port can count. I was giving a
safe speed (1/(base period))/2.  It has been said you should be able to
count (1/(base period+jitter)).  This is assuming that the quadature output
of the encoder is perfect. (Transitions are at 50% of the previous
transition.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53960&highlight=encoders

sam