Jim,

Most audio amplifiers have a large capacitor on the output to block DC
current.  DC is not good for speakers.  Class D power amps use PWM based
drivers that might work for driving motors.  I am not sure but I don't
think they have the caps on the output.  You would have to look at the
specs for audio amp to try and identify what class amp is being used on the
output stage.

I think you might be better off building your own VFD driver.  Especially
if the PWM is being done though HAL.  Why not try using the stepper driver
H bridge and drive it directly from HAL running in PWM mode.  As long as
it's heat sinked, you should just fine.  The L298 just might work well for
this.

Jim Combs

             "Jim Coleman"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             mail.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
             emc-users-bounces         <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
             @lists.sourceforg                                          cc
             e.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Emc-users] Audio hardware as EMC
             03/31/2008 06:36          output?
             PM

             Please respond to
             "Enhanced Machine
             Controller (EMC)"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             sourceforge.net>

I've been playing with using an audio amplifier with a tone generator to
make a low power VFD, and have been wondering what it would take to build a
HAL module to produce simple audio waveforms.? After I got to thinking, it
seems that audio hardware could probably do a higher frequency PWM than the
parport can, too.? I'm just not sure how fast of a response could be had,
although playing music and the like is constant changes in the output...
even if it was a little slow, it seems like it could work for something
like spindle in pwm or if it was just driving tones to an amplifier to run
the motors directly...

So does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I'd love to hear 'em.

Jim Coleman