On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 07:18:08AM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> EMC 2.1.x is unlikely to work on Ubuntu 7.10.  However, the development
> version has been improved in various ways for compatability with newer
> versions of Ubuntu.
>
> On Ubuntu 7.10 the default amount of "locked memory" for regular users
> is too low.  You can fix that problem by adding the line
>     hard memlock 20480
> to /etc/security/limits.conf as root.  (it's necessary to log out
> completely after making this change)

I have a correction to make to the above.  Better late than never, they
say.

After IRC user Twingy was also trying to get emc2 running on Ubuntu
Gutsy, we found that the correct line for /etc/security/limits.conf is
    * hard memlock 20480
(note the leading "*")

After this, Twingy reports that emc2 runs for him as user on 7.10 with
self-built kernel and emc2.

Jeff