Chris Radek wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:40:59AM -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
>

>>Another topic...  I want to try some rigid tapping a la the
>>Mazak on my portable mill and bring that to the Workshop.
>>Is there a sample G-code program or a program that creates the
>>G-code for that cycle?  I'm thinking of hooking my spindle motor
>>to another servo amp.  Since the servo box only has a 50 V power
>>supply, I'll lose some RPM but I think that will be OK.
>

> It's very easy:
>
> G20 G90
> S250 M3 (spindle nice and slow)
> G0 X0 Y0 Z0.1 (0.1" above a previously drilled #7 hole)
> G33.1 Z-0.6 K0.05 (Tap 1/4-20, 1/2" deep)
> M2
OK, cool!  I've been drilling/tapping holes with these "thread
drills", that have a point just like a drill bit, and the rear
section is a tap.  I started around 300 RPM, and recently have
been doing it at 1200 RPM.  The problem is my Procunier tapping
head is such a HUGE contraption that I have the point of the tap
about 8" from the machine spindle.  I think if the drill point
wanders just a little before biting, the hole goes in crooked
and can break the tap.  It gets trickier because the drill can't
feed at the tap feed rate, so I have to do a slow feed of about
.001 - .002" per rev until the drill is through, then accelerate
to the tap rate.  I will have to try this out as soon as I get
a few things fixed up on the machine.

Thanks,

Jon