On May 11, 2008, at 3:12 AM, Gary Fixler wrote:

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Dave Engvall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Mazak at Galesburg offsets (X and Y) to middle of table.
The limit switches yes but emc provides offsets after home.

I thought limit switches needed to be at extents, because you can't run right through them. How do they have it set up? It would work with an optical trip - something I've kind of wanted to set up with something like this:
Optical should work if you can keep them clean.

http://www.robotobjects.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=407

I've seen used Boeing machines with a 1" aluminum plate drilled and
tapped in a 2" or 50 mm grid.
Lots of flexibility for mounting.

I recently made a tiny one of these for my mini mill, and confirm that they're awesome:

Neat!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyfixler/sets/72157604574121304/

They're pretty easy to code for with nested O-code while loops, and either a drilling, or helical boring routine. I used the latter, with my own helical sub, which I later learned is nearly identical to the one included in EMC's examples files :)

For 90% of what I do I use UL of my vise as G59.3 and clamp fixtures
in the vise. I simply draw my parts with a 0,0 UL corner.

I like this idea, especially as it's easy to square the mill back up with my table. How do you account for the horizontal position in the vise? Do your fixtures butt up against one side of it for repeatability across the jaws? I think I'm going to steal this concept.

I use a straight edge to align the jig with the left side of the vise. My shortest tool is H1 and touch off the top of the workpiece for Z zero. All other tool lengths are referenced to H1.

I keep thinking about making a tool length gage mounted on the table
with a piston and a prox switch. It should be a very fast and
accurate way of setting length. So far the round-to-it has eluded me.

I think this doesn't even have to be mounted. It could simply be a little device you place on the table whenever needed, though it wouldn't be quite as fast as a prox switch. I just found this while poking around the net:

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/howto/production_notes/ height_gauge/height_gauge_pt1.htm

That looks simple enough. You could also rig one of those optical switches.

I envision something where the gage is rigged as a probe and the lengths go into a table to be transformed for
the tool table.

I've looked at the tool gages with the 2" offset but have not gotten one.

I'll just need a parallel block, a height gauge, a little block for the gauge tip, and some epoxy.

-g