Alex,

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 10:13 +0300, Alex Joni wrote:

<https://www.myvoice.nl/horde/imp/message.php?index=49388#>
> Hi Rob,
>
> updates which you get automagically won't screw your install.
> We only provide automatic updates for the same release branch of emc2 (so
if
> you have emc2.2.2 you'll get automatic updates for 2.2.3, 2.2.4, 2.2.5,
etc,
> but you won't get automatic updates from 2.1.x to 2.2.x, or to 2.3.x -
> manual intervention is required for that).

That's what I had expected: only update within the 2.2.x branch, I am more
concerned about what I could do wrong myself (not that much - I know).
It is just that I needed to do some productive milling today and I did not
want to get into any possible problems.

> If you produce deb's from your local testing dir, then you can surely
> install that deb on another system.
> If you only use checkout, compile (with run in place, as to not mess an
> installed system), then it's a bit harder to move the work.

Then I'll start reading the documentation and check the Wiki on how to do
this.
Last time I made a .deb file it was called .rpm (on RedHat) and that was
about 7 years ago ...

Regards,

Rob