-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Epler
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:17 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Z-Axis Drifting Problem

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 02:33:04PM -0500, Ray Henry wrote:
> I can't see how electrical interference would cause bad counting in
> one direction only but you might make certain your encoder cables are
> grounded at the drive end only.

I agree this sounds a bit strange, but I've seen this on two occasions.
Once the encoder sensor was physically dirty, and in the other case there
was electrical noise due to (iirc) bad grounding.  In both these cases, the
position error was consistently biased in one particular direction.

You're right to suggest not dismissing electrical interference in this case.

Jeff