jbraun wrote:
> Synergy is not working well with 8.0.4 on my machine. After running
> in color a few seconds everything goes grayscale. Maybe a case of
> switching on too much eyecandy?  Hardy Heron has a ton of that stuff LOL.
Doh! My apology for not noticing that this happens on my machine too,
even after I created a symbolic link to fix synergy looking for locale
info in the wrong place.

I don't know why this is occurring, but on a hunch, I installed the
kubuntu-desktop package, logged out and logged back in again with KDE
selected instead of Gnome. Whaddaya know, the graying-out problem with
Synergy doesn't seem to occur. Since I'm not a Synergy user (yet), I
can't attest that it works fine now, but it looks like it should.

I hate this kind of problem. It reminds me of the "good old days" when
turnkey CAD/CAM providers---IBM, Intergraph, Computervision, and the
like---required you to buy their custom hardware and their custom OS
(AIX, anyone? how about CLIX, HP-UX, Digital Unix, or SunOS? Remember
when the non-Sun vendors created OSF/1 to push Sun out of the driver's
seat?) as part of the deal to get their software. When I got into the
world of CAD data-exchange standardization, I had one of every major
system in my lab. It would take us days to pollute their various file
systems by trial-and-error with enough symlinks, lib-file aliases, and
configuration datasets to port our testing tools across platforms. And
the inconsistency of the shells, oh the horror...

Older and wiser now, I'll follow Kirk's lead and wait for the Ubuntu
(more precisely, the Gnome) version of Synergy.

Regards,
Kent