On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 19:08 +0200, Dirk wrote:
> Hi all, well, just deleted my question. When double checking all the
> facts, reproducing the problems, I got some clue about what was going
> wrong. But there is still 1 thing unclear. My postprocessor, NX5, made
> with postbuilder, automatically adds a G28 at the start of the
> program. Since I have a very slow z-axis, which can also get
> dangerously close to the workpiece if it hase a tool in it, I don't
> want the G28 to go to 0,0,0. I configured emc so that a homing
> sequence will put the x and y stage at 10,10 and the z-stage at 180.
> Can I get emc to use G28 to go these coordinates? Or do I have to
> remove the G28 from the postprocessor and put G00 X10 Y10 Z180 in it?
> It seems that G28 Z100, for instance, first goes to 0,0,0 and than
> goes to 0,0,100.
>
> I love this stuff, but there is so much to figure out. Especially
> since I have to configure a postprocessor and a cnc system at the same
> time. I am never sure which one is misconfigured.
>
> Dirk

I haven't taken the time to really analyze your message, but maybe this
will help.

I have my home setup to place the machine in a safe position for a tool
or workpiece change. For my stepper machine without home sensors, I jog
the machine to the home position (or pose) and home (button) each axis.
For my machines with home sensors, the home pose is set by the sensor
position and the .ini settings. I just press to home button for each
axis, and I am done. I home the machine each time I start EMC. A retract
path and g28 is on my mental check list for the end of each tool use.

For the part zero, I use "touch off" for each axis for tool 1. Then, I
use the tool table to set the rest of the tools in relation to tool 1.
At first, I tried using touch off to part-zero each tool, but it doesn't
work that way. There is only one touch off entry for each axis and it is
independent of tool selection. To set the tool table, I jog tool 2 and
up to the part zero and physically touch off (with a piece of paper and
subtract or add .003"). _Don't_ use the touch-off button here. I read
the axis positions and use these numbers in the tool table.

The home button acts differently if you have home sensors or not. If you
have sensors, you can hit the home button and the machine will jog to
the home position. Without home sensors, EMC will reset your home
setting, which for me, is _bad_. Once I set home at EMC start up, I stay
away from the home button. I only use g28 in MDI mode while doing
setups.

I am still working on my procedures and there may be some errors here.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,