On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 07:52:51PM -0700, Terry wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   When I tried to update I got this error:
>
> Error:Dependency is not satisifiable:libpango 1.0-0

What version of emc are you upgrading *from*?  The single file download
procedure will only work when you're upgrading within the same series,
such as 2.2.3 -> 2.2.6.  It won't necessarily work going from different
series, such as 2.0.5 -> 2.2.6.

(libpango is a library for text layout; I believe it is now used in emc2
to provide some improved display elements in halscope and classicladder)

You can still do this manually with sneakernet, which I'll describe
below, but I'd be very tempted to reconsider whether to temporarily move
the machine to a location with network access or reinstall the machine
from a new CD with 2.2.6.  If you want to do it manually, take a deep
breath and read on.

libpango1.0-0 is a package provided by Ubuntu.  You can use the ubuntu
website to find a download link.  Go to the front page of
packages.ubuntu.com, scan down to "search package directories", enter
the package name exactly as it is shown in the error message, select
under "exact hits".  Click the link, then look at the bottom of the page
under "Download <package name>" to find the package for i386 systems.

Now, in the terminal, 'dpkg -i' both the emc2 deb and the libpango deb.
If additional packages are listed, repeat the above steps to find
that package from packages.ubuntu.com, until there are no problems
indicated.

Jeff
* at least, I assume you are using Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" -- I don't
see that you have specifically said which operating system version
you're on.  If you're using something older than that, such as 5.10
"Breezy Badger", then there is no precompiled upgrade available.