In addition to my previous question. Is it also possible to use the
arduino to drive a machine?

I am also working on a small hexapod (only 3D movement, no tool
orientation).Something like this:
http://gizmodo.com/371917/abb-flexpicker-robots-legs-move-so-fast-its-scary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxsgu_uzxQQ&feature=related
I got the idea from a demo with java realtime but I can't find the
movie anymore.

  Is it possible to drive it with the arduino board? It is just 3
steppermotors which will be controlled with a step and direction pin.
I don't care about speed at this moment. The hexapod is only a toy
from some steppers out of the junk box. I am only making it because of
my fascination for these things.

If I have the drivers working, all very straightforward and simple,
I'll probably test it on the desk with an arduino. It would be a very
easy and small step to move the machine to the emc2 computer with an
arduino board attached to it.

The advantage of using the arduino instead of the parallel port is
that I don't have to touch the mill which is on the parallel port.
Aother parallel port is of course also an option.

Dirk