I'm not sure what to tell you -- I just tested the code from
http://axis.unpy.net/01198594294 again and it (still) works for me.
Today, I'm using emc 2.2, ubuntu 8.04, and the arduino diecimilila
board.  The sketch was compiled using arduino 0010.

I tested in two main ways: first, I hooked pin 7 to 8 using a random
resistor I had on hand, and watched the pin 8 indicator change when I
toggled pin 7.

Next, I used a DMM to monitor the output voltage on pin 7 and then on
pin 3 (a PWM output).  The DMM showed a high voltage on pin 7 and a
varying voltage on pin 3 according to the slider position.

Do you see both the RX and the TX lights on the arduino blinking?

Jeff