Ian,
Thanks for your report.  I've reproduced the problem and I believe I've
fixed it.  (A nod goes to SWPadnos for noticing the factor of 25.4
hidden in the numbers you cited)

(It is easy for anyone to see the problem by modifying sim_9axis.ini
to change [TRAJ]UNITS to mm.  Then run emc.  MDI to A1 then touch off A
to 0.  The value of A is incorrectly set to 24.4.)

A fragment of a patch (to be manually applied to the axis script either in its
installed location or src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py in the
source directory) can be seen here:
    http://pastebin.com/m5761e646
(because my working file has other unrelated changes it is not a
complete patch and can't be automatically applied by the 'patch' program)

Unless another problem crops up I hope to check this in tomorrow.  It
will be in the eventual 2.2.7 release.

Jeff