I think that using Modbus to operate a vfd for spindle control is ok,
but again the discussion is going back to issues of timing critical
functions such as motor and drive control. Simple digital I/O functions
would be a much better use for modbus. In my view functions such as home
and overtravel switches, E-Stop and power on and off circuits as well as
feed hold should be handled by the servo board I/O pins. This brings the
hardware watchdog into play on motion critical I/O. The modbus would be
useful for things like hand wheel pulses (MPG), external tool and pallet
changers and other operator push button functions that are not timing
critical. Work lights and coolant on off are not timing critical to the
motion control. Machine operators are not consistant in the speed at
which they press a button. The software and hardware that reads and
writes these functions does not need to be accurate within 20ms. The
integrator has to use his head in selecting what I/O point in the entire
system is used for what purpose.

Dave