On Oct 30, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Dave Engvall wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>> Interesting idea to run for a long time. My numbers get bad enough
>> even in a short time.
>> I've installed the patched .ko for Ubuntu 6.06 smi and that improved
>> things greatly.
>> However, I'm still getting realtime messages. Can someone point me to
>> a  checklist of other things to suppress and how to do it?
>>
> Depending on your video driver, there may be a bunch of options, or
> none
> at all, on your video card.
> There should be a pull-down menu under something like system ->
> administration -> display.  My Nvidia driver installs its own config
> program, but you probably don't use an Nvidia card on a CNC machine.

Hi Jon,
I'm using an GeForce 2 Nvidia card and it smears a bit on some windows.
May have to try something else.  Will check for a menu.

After the comments (JMK) this afternoon about problems with the Mazak
at Galesburg I
tried running a program on my machine while doing other things.
The program was a pretty generic mill a bunch of identical blocks,
first roughing at 4.5 ipm
and the finishing at more like 12 ipm. Meanwhile I fired up the web
browser since that makes the numbers on
my latency test increase about as fast and anything I can do. Didn't
even get a bump; even on the rapids between
blocks. So while my latency numbers are really horrible, i.e. in the
96K range, I can't demonstrate any degradation
in the performance of the mill.

Dave