On Sunday 02 November 2008, John Domville wrote:
>Heinz Reimer,
>   Thanks for the input. I will check into the information you provided.
>Seems a shame thought to have to use a counter weight on Z axis as the
>system should have been designed to move it own weight. If you have any
>pictures on the counter weight you used please send them to me.
>
>John Domville

Both MAXVEL and MAXACCELERATION are likely too fast, that vel corresponds to
60 ipm, and my machine, with 20 tpi screws, direct coupled, is about tapped
out at 20 ipm.  Reduce that to say 0.25 for starters, it can always be raised
later.

MAXACCEL here is in the 3 range  So you are trying to adjust a motors speed 10
times quicker than I can without problems.  Try 2.5, it can always be raised.

My machine (Harbor Freight Micromill) may have slightly bigger motors.  And
you can see my (West Virginia engineered) solution for a head counter
springing method at <http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/emc>, also the rest of
the mess and mods to it, including a whole new z drive method.  The micromill
has what I'd call a design flaw in that the z drive screw is behind the post,
like the Sherline, which puts all the binding forces directly into the gibs.
My setup originally would bind up a 425 oz motor at 5 pounds of downforce.
What you see now can put 155 pounds on a drill bit.

>> John

Cheers, Gene
The trouble with heart disease is that the first symptom is often hard to
deal with: death.
                -- Michael Phelps