Kent A. Reed wrote:

>[snip]
>
>Armed with Jeff's response about the memory constraint that was imposed
>in the 6.06 LiveCD and the rtai fix y'all had been anticipating would be
>released in time for the 8.04-LiveCD build, I went looking for an easy
>way to determine what version of RTAI was actually running on my
>machine. To save others the time it took me to do this (of course I may
>just be the slow kid in the class and the rest of you already know the
>answer), there is a utility called rtai-config that can provide the
>answer when invoked with the --version option.
>
>Unfortunately, the location of this utility seems to be dependent on the
>kernel version because of the way the rtai extensions are built. On my
>machine, it's in the /usr/realtime-2.6.24-16-rtai/bin directory and
>currently it returns the answer 3.6.1, confirming Alex's comment that
>"...if you have your updates installed, then it's definitely fixed."

It's possible that running the following command will work regardless of
what version you have:
/usr/realtime-`uname -r`/bin/rtai-config
the backquotes (`) tell bash to execute the command inside he quotes,
then stick the result in the command line before executing the command.
"uname -r" gives the revision of the kernel (the 2.6.24-15-rtai part),
so this command would change depending on the kernel version running
when you issue the command.
The other interesting thing you can do is
"/usr/realtime*/bin/rtai-config" (without the quotes).  I'm not sure if
that will run all matching commands or just the first one, but that will
go to a directory that begins with realtime, and execute the
bin/rtai-config found within it.

>I'll see if I can find an appropriate place to add this tidbit to the wiki.
>
>Regards,
>Kent
>
>PS - mentioning the wiki reminds me to take a moment to rant that we all
>should be explicitly date/time stamping our contributions and specifying
>their effectivity (e.g., the software versions to which they apply) so
>subsequent readers have a clue whether the information they are looking
>at is relevant to their problem. As EMC/EMC2 and the wiki both evolve
>over time it gets harder and harder to know what's hot and what's merely
>historically interesting.

The very bottom of every wiki page has a "last modified by" line, which
includes the time it was modified as well as who did it.  There's also a
link for "View Other Revisions", where you can see every change that has
been made to that page, along with the notes (if any) the editor put in
when making the change.  It's not quite CVS, but it's reasonably easy to

- Steve