(Alex, note that I'm copying this thread to the emc-users mailing list,
for to seed the search engines.)

Alex Hunt wrote:
> I'm trying to set up an EMC2 configuration using stepper motors.  I have the
> 5i20 card in my computer and it loads up the default config ok - so I know
> the hardware is functional.  The default (Hostmot-4, right?) is for servos,
> so  that doesn't help me.

I think that's right, the m5i20 driver does servo control only, not step
generation.

Hostmot2 and the hm2_pci driver can do stepgen on the 5i20.  Matt Shaver
is running a stepper-based machine with the 5i20 and he's reporting
success, so I'm confident we can get you up and running.

> Basically, I looking for some newbie instructions for how to get Hostmot2 up
> and running.  I was working with the Ubuntu package for EMC2 for a while,
> but now I have emc2-trunk installed as run-in-place so I can experiment.  I
> am totally lost:  ~/configs/hostmot2 does not seem to be a complete
> configuration.  Can you help?

Well, I can try, and possibly others here on emc-users can help too.  I
dont actually have a CNC machine, and I've never written a complete
machine configuration.

The best place to start is with the existing documentation.  Since
you're on trunk, check this out: <http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/>

I suggest you read the following fine manuals:

        Introduction to EMC2
        Basic Configuration
        EMC2's interface to HAL
        the entire HAL section
        the hostmot2.9 manpage

Then when your all cross-eyed from all that reading, read the sample
stepper configs in configs/stepper in your Trunk sandbox, and the
sample hostmot2 configs in configs/hostmot2.

> (oh, I guess I should mention that I'm trying to achieve GPIO synchronized
> with the motion of a gantry - in case you want to talk me out of this
> path...)

What exactly are you trying to achieve?  It may or may not be doable,
within a given limit of synchronization.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky