>> There are several systems along these lines that already exist:
>> pico-systems ppmc, mesanet.com's 7i43, and pluto_servo all use the EPP
>> protocol for this purpose, and each one has established its own protocol
>> details.

Isn't the parallel-port going the way of the Do-Do pretty soon?
I remember when this discussion came up a while ago one option was
Ethernet-based communication. There is a 100Mbit or Gigabit ethernet
port on all new computers and that won't go away anytime soon (I think).

A modular board that has a real-time connection via Ethernet would be
nice. Digital I/O, ADC, DAC modules could be added as needed.

my 2c,

Anders