Gentle persons:

I'm hearing echoes of a 30-year old story that a contributing editor of
one of the early microcomputing magazines (maybe Kilobaud) told. He got
a wild hair to make a simple interface card and sell it. His tale of woe
can be boiled down to "I was losing money on every sale." What the
manufacturing costs didn't eat, the shipping and post-sales service
costs got. My hat is off to anyone who can keep at this business of
selling peripheral hardware for any length of time.

I am interested to see what comes of the notion of an open, generic
(dare I say "standard") protocol for communicating with servo drivers,
but that subject probably deserves its own email list.

Regards,
Kent