Hi,

I am at the state of configuring our stepper driven milling machine and came
across an interesting issue.

I set up all the parameters needed to drive an axis including backlash
compensation. Most important values are as follows:
SCALE = 1000
BACKLASH = 0.004
Then when I hook up a digital micrometer to the axis and start jogging 1 mm
each time what I see is this:
- running at reasonably high speeds the backlash comp works well and the
maximum difference is +-0.001 microns.
- however, when I switch to low speed (really low speed) the difference can
grow up to +-0.010 microns.

Well, this made me think I should compensate the friction on the axis too.
As I searched through the EMC2 manual I did not find anything. I looked at
one of our other machines' manual (with Heidenhain control unit) which does
have the possibility to compensate friction so I assume the problem itself
is not unknown.

Does anyone have any kind of suggestion what to do in this case?

Reagrds,
Adam Novak