On Wednesday 17 December 2008, Ray Henry wrote:
> (1) What you are describing was addressed when an attempt was made to
> allow integrators the ability to set these behaviors by parameter
> changes.  I've argued for such things for years and a first stab at it
> was made by Keith Rumley about three+ years ago on the BDI versions.
> You could see his revisions in CVS.

Minor correction - The changes were made on a branch of the original EMC code.
The bug fixes were merged in to the BDI-4 branch of emc2, but possibly not in
to the main trunk.

> IMO the proper way to handle these things will require a major rework
> and expansion of the EMC2 task planning code.

Offsets are predominantly in the realm of the interpreter and have little to
do with the task planner.

> (2) A related ability, suspending a program using abort or some such
> then switching to manual and moving to allow the replacement of a broken
> or worn tool, has been discussed at some length.  A similar issue is
> raised with auto tool wear sensing.

Now this does require changes at the task planner level, and also in the
trajectory planner - Manual moves & unplanned tool changes opens up a number
of problems associated with tool offsets.

> IMO there is a solution to this and several other "issues" but it would
> require a significant revision of the interpreter code.

There is/was an extensible interpreter being worked on that allowed for custom
G/M codes via a config file - The intent was to provide
different "personalities" to emulate various controls (i.e. Fanuc or
Heidenhain) along with closer coupling of PLC functions..