When that happens, it indicates that the installer is not able to read
the cd.  I'm not aware of any troubleshooting information that it is
useful to gather at that point, or any specific solutions to this
problem besides trying a new CD burn if you haven't already.

You might try downloading the official ubuntu 8.04 cdrom image from
ubuntu.com.  If the installation completes with that cd image, you can
then go on the network and add the emc2 packages using the
emc2-install.sh method described on our website:
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/

On the other hand, if you get the *same* error when using an official
ubuntu 8.04 cd image, then you can ask for help on websites like
ubuntuforums.org or search for help on help.ubuntu.com.

Jeff