Stuart and Jon:

You got me with your talk of PDP11 memory tests and "insanely complex
systems with PDP-11s with hundreds of ISR addresses"...I was immediately
transported back to the 1970s. I still have the tactile memory of keying
in the bootstrap loader from the front panel, over and over and over, as
we debugged our laboratory control programs, and keying in our patches
because it was too time consuming to reassemble and link code in our
"high speed" punched papertape environment. I have also worked with
PDP8s, HP2100s, DG Novas, and even Interdata minis, but I loved the
PDP11 the most.

I know some lucky folks have original PDP11 front panels. I was too
young to think to salvage mine when the relay racks were forklifted out
of the lab.

Those were the days!

Regards,
Kent