On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 00:05 -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
>
> >[snip]
> >
> >A caveat of frame-grabbing, to me at least, is that this implies using
> >video, and inexpensive video really ..... . For my application, the only
> >additional cost was $30.00 for an eBay digital camera that has much
> >higher resolution with great exposure and color control. To me, video is
> >only good for full motion applications and requires at least an order of
> >magnitude more money to get decent results. I would love to see an open
> >source HD video project. The Elphel
> >http://www.elphel.com/index_en.html
> >
> >seems to try to be open and has very good image quality.
> >

> They're quite open, and the cameras are an excellent deal.  They even
> give you a discount if you intend to contribute back to the project
> (hosted on sourceforge, complete with FPGA code and source for all the
> applications that run on the camera).
>
> The resolution is great, but the quality isn't that good.  I say this
> from the perspective of someone looking for photographic images rather
> than inspection, so they're likely fine for machine use.  I haven't
> tested the latest generation, I have a 333, not a 353/363.  Note that
> these cameras have no way to control iris, focus, or zoom, even if you
> use a lens that has the right motors.

I saw some sample pictures on a forum from a person that made videos
that went along with bicycle rollers that presented simulated bike
tours. The pictures were very good. They were in full sun and were
processed, not raw. I would rate the samples as pro-sumer quality, but I
am not an expert.

I wounder, being open source if it might be possible to add lens
functions?

> POE (Power Over Ethernet) is a great feature, but it requires hardware
> that many people don't have.  I couldn't get the camera to work with the
> POE power supply they provided, but luckily it did work with the switch
> I bought for testing.
>
> Throughput isn't great over the network, especially at higher
> resolutions (I have the 3 or 5 mpix model, it looks like they never
> released a board based on the 9 MP sensor).  It can take several seconds
> to transfer a full size image.  Video (compressed) at high resolution
> gets maybe 1-2 frames/second.

I thought the frame rates were much higher. I was thinking the Elphel
and a fast notebook might make a decent poor man's Red:
http://www.red.com/

> They're cool device for sure, but they may not be ideally suited to this
> application.  Oh, they also cost around $850 with the GPL discount :)
>
> - Steve

I haven't lusted over digital video for a quite a while and since I
spend most of my discretionary money on CNC's, this is out of my league.