On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Arnold Riter CNC wrote:

> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 00:07:15 +0100
> From: Arnold Riter CNC <arnoldriter...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] 5i20+sevos and ??stepper??
>
> Hello,
> I'm using servos but I'd like to add a 4th axis to my mill using stepper.
>
> Here it is the configuration of my mill till now:
> 3 servomotors+Amps
> 1 Mesacard 5i20
> 1 7i33
> 1 7i37
>
> My questions are:
>
> Can I use the 7i37 for controlling the 4th axis with stepper? or it is
> better to use the parallel port?

Parallel would likely be simpler as it would mean fewer HAL changes.

5I20 will give better performance (as it can do hardware step generation) but
you will have to change to the new firmware/driver = HostMot2 and new HAL
file.

I would not drive the steppers through the 7I37 for speed reasons but either
directly from the 5I20 (assuming your step driver is isolated) Or if you want
to be a little safer, through a 7I42T I/O protector or 7I47 differential
driver card.

> Is there any ini and hal file to use as a example for my needs?
> (servo+stepper)
>
> Please any help will be very welcome!
>
> Arnold

Peter Wallace