Jon Elson <el...@...> writes:

> Well, of course, you could also use the Pico Systems Universal PWM
> Controller.  When you deal with the extra support stuff needed for the
> Mesa board, I don't think there is any price advantage with them.
>
> I have some config file sets on my web page at
> http://pico-systems.com/codes/univpwm/
> This is a 4-axis mill setup.
>
> You can't actually run this without hardware, the driver will not detect
> the board and will terminate.

Jon,
If you start with a blank slate your Universal PWM is a good cost effective
solution that simplifies hardware and software setup and provides for Opto22
relays. In my case though I already have a Mesa card (won at Cardinal raffle),
50 pin breakout panels and I installed solid state relays for spindle, coolant
and brake when I converted the machine to Mach3/Gecko's. The machine also has a
safe, hardware based E-stop circuit.

In theory all I need to do to upgrade to your AMP's is to figure out how to wire
your PWM AMP's and existing encoders to the Mesa, configure the PWM Hostmot2
parameters and pass the machine's drive enable signal from the mill's E-Stop
circuit back to EMC.

Roger