On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:49:56PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> select the sim stuff and it asks to copy the files to the users dir for
> editing, and I confirm.
>
> selecting one of the sims for axis (there seem to be 3 trees, sim, sim-1, and
> sim-2, whats the diff?)

You create a new one every time you choose the sample-config and agree
to copy it.  Don't do that -- choose the already-copied one.

> Question 1:
> Are there any optimizations I can do to get a realtime response quick enough
> to be at least believable here?

This is quite different from my own experience.  I also run ssh over a
100Mb/s network.  The remote machine running the emc gui is a 933MHz
Pentium3 and the local machine displaying it is a 2.4GHz Pentium4 with
the proprietary nvidia driver.  The performance on the AXIS splash
screen is well into the two-digit FPS, quite responsive.

Is something using a lot of CPU on either machine?  If there's a lot of
CPU usage attributed to 'ssh' on either side, then it's overhead of the
ssh encryption.  If there's a lot on the remote 'axis' process, then
it's CPU bound on your slow machine (but this isn't my experience).  If
it's in the local 'X' process, then it's probably the software OpenGL
rendering that you allude to.

Likewise, if the speed gets worse when you enlarge the window, then
blame software rendering.

> Also, I wanted to play with the homing functions, but it won't let me, saying
> the "shared homing switch is already closed."  That sounds like a hal config
> thing, is it fixable so I can actually see how that is supposed to work in
> real life?

The sim/axis configuration already has a home switch configuration.
IME, hitting 'Home all' after the user interface comes up does the
homing routine for XYZ.

Use the various tools to look at the home switch connections--they are
triggered by comparison of the motor positions with some hardcoded
values to simulate a home switch.

Jeff